Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Surviving slush and snow

We thought we were getting away without the snow, didn't we? How foolish of us!

Now that the snow has returned, so has the mess. Slippery slush coats the streets. This is the time of year when I really question the sanity of the ubiquitous pair of Uggs, because as far as I can tell, they are not waterproof! Someone once told me that although they look like they're soaked from the outside sometimes, the boots are actually thick enough that the foot within remains dry.

I think that's ridiculous. It sounds like a breeding ground for mold and mildew even if one's feet do stay dry. Mmm, smelly, smelly mildew.

Personally, I'm a believer in La Canadienne boots. Mine are waterproof - I once stepped into five inches of water in my Alexis boots, and there were no leaks. Incroyable!!!! They're also lined with shearling so my feet stay toasty warm - and my feet get so cold that sometimes I like to snake one out and touch my unsuspecting boyfriend to watch him squirm. (What can I say? I get bored easily, and I'm an remorseless troll.)

I digress. Back to the boots! In general, I prefer not to wear leather. This is not because I'm an animal rights activist, but because the tanning process for leather is a horrific pollutant.

La Canadienne says that they use environmentally-friendly and non-toxic chemicals, and that they make their boots locally in Montreal with scraps left over from the food industry. The hides are imported from Italy, so that adds to the carbon footprint of the boot, but I feel better about that than I would about knowing that my boots are the cause of a nasty toxic spill in a developing country. (Sorry about your water, children, but do you see how sexy I look in these boots?!)

Full disclosure: I am not competely consistent in my buying patterns yet. I do have leather products that are not as friendly to the environment or our fellow global citizens. I also believe that NOT buying more is better than replacing old, usable products with new, "better" ones. I'm trying to improve on this front, but it's still a work in progress as I balance the limitations of my budget, my desire to be fashionable, and my conscience.

Overall, though, La Canadienne fits the bill. I've had my boots for almost four years now, and they're still in great condition. When they do eventually die out, I'll definitely be replacing them with another pair, but hopefully that won't be for a few more years. :)

A link to La Canadienne's waterproof cold weather boots is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment